Two days back, I spent my whole afternoon in the kitchen to make this!
I know it's not very pleasant to see and most people do not know what it is.
But it tastes heavenly!
This dish is famous mostly in Penang, especially among the Hokkiens.
My grandmother used to make this for us when we're in Penang.
Trust me, best home-cooked comfort food ever!
It's called Chai Bui in Hokkien.
Which is directly translated from the Chinese word, 菜尾 (cài wěi).
It also means the end product of dishes.
Which is why this dish is historically served a day after a CNY banquet where the leftovers are all mixed in a pot and left to stew.
But today, this dish is no less than a leftover dish anymore.
The ingredients are all freshly bought from the market and prepared on the spot.
It really tastes unique and if you haven't tried it before, you should!
It mainly consists of roasted pork, carrot, mengkuang, cauliflower, tomatoes, onions, vegetable, and asam juice.
It should taste savoury and a little sour and served with rice when it's hot.
:D
I never had so much leftovers in my house, but if you're starting from scratch, it seriously requires a lot of work, and patience.
And tears.. (when you peel onions)
HAHAHHA
But it's super fun and it really pays off when it tastes great!
Till then,
I didn't know a stalk of cauliflower could cost so much! LOL
p.s Housewife in the making.

No comments:
Post a Comment