Couple of weeks back, I went to the Melaka prison.
I just thought it was a once in a lifetime experience and I should pen it down before vivid recollections become dust, just like everything else.
I tagged along my boss during this visit for the purpose of meeting a drug pusher.
It's a whole different world beyond those heavily bolted doors, thick iron bars and wire netting.
All the prisoners had the same gloomy miserable look on their faces.
After entering the area, you could actually hear the doors and shutters behind you shut close.
The moment we step inside, I felt many pairs of eyes following our every movement.
Being a gender-separated prison, I guess I was the only female at that side of the prison.
It was a little shocking seeing how the prisoners were treated by the wardens; getting yelled at for being 'too near', getting threatened to be trampled on, etc.
It's kinda sad really, to see that humans are still being treated this way.
I'm not one to judge and say they deserve second chances, dignity or respect but being treated like animals in the midst of repenting, could've been a little extreme.
My boss though, one of the reason I respect what he does, is that he never believed in helping the 'wrong people' but always believe that some people just need a voice to be heard.
Humanity is so underrated but it is so honourable.
1 comment:
go and accompany them then. hahaha
Post a Comment